How are you planning to grow your business this summer? Are you puzzled as the methods you’ve been using are not giving you the business they used to?
Listen to today’s episode of Growth Marketing for Martians to freshen up those marketing methods with tools and practices that are going to be most effective in today’s post-pandemic market!
Today we’re going to talk about how this summer is the prime time to try some fresh marketing ideas.
The lockdown it’s coming to an end (hopefully) and it has created some unique opportunities for business owners.
We’re going to talk about those opportunities and give you three fresh outreach ideas to try to make sure you capitalize on the opportunity and make this summer a “hot marketer summer!” 😁
Why is now the time for marketers to go out and get their mojo back?
After the 1918 Influenza Pandemic ended, the economy skyrocketed with the celebrations of the Roaring Twenties. We are seeing the same post-Pandemic spending surge now:
- The Consumer Price Index (CPI) jumped 5% in May 2021, the highest it’s jumped since the summer of 2008. (PPL Labs).
- 73% of consumers have tried new buying strategies since the Pandemic hit (MindState Group)
People are looking to live a little more and maybe try some things they haven’t before, which creates a GREAT opportunity to market beyond your typical reach.
What assumptions can we make about the “post-lockdown” customer going into summer?
1) Customers are mainly entertained by digital content (and see it almost constantly)
- The average time spent on digital forms of media is 8 hours per day!!!
- Exposure to traditional media forms like TV, radio, and newspapers is only 5.5 hours and decreasing.
- Spending on digital advertising increased by 2.4% in 2020 but that spending has already increased by 17% in 2021! (WordStream).
2) Customers Want Personalized Experiences
- 80% of customers are more likely to make a purchase from a brand that provides personalized content and experiences (Forbes)
With the drastic increase in exposure to digital content, there has been an increase in personalization as digital marketing has the unique opportunity to be extremely personal, and consumers are now expecting that personalization (Harvard Business Review).
Fresh Outreach Idea #1:
Incorporate Values Into Your Marketing Messages
The social unrest of 2020 had a lasting impact as consumers are WAY more concerned with social values than ever before (PPL Labs).
The EY Future Consumer Index researched 14,500 people in 20 different countries throughout the Pandemic, and found that consumers are now, more than ever, making purchase decisions based on these values that they share with businesses:
- Affordability first (32%): Living within their means is most important, perhaps because of the financial struggle during the Pandemic.
- Health first (25%): Health, safety, and less risk for them and their families
- Planet first (16%): A minimized impact on the environment
- Society first (15%): Honesty and transparency that shows teamwork and a desire to do the “right thing” for the greater good
- Experience first (12%): Live in the moment and try all the things because life is short! (Harvard Business Review)
Fresh Outreach Idea #2:
Step up engagement with and between your customers!
- Customers who feel connected to your company will generate 23% more revenue than customers who don’t feel connected because you haven’t engaged them (ImpacX).
- Some ways to increase customer engagement are:
- Giving and encouraging opportunities for customers to review your service/product.
- Posting shout-outs spotlighting customers who left good reviews
- Incentivizing engagements by offering discounts for referrals or reviews from previous customers.
- Most of this happens on social media, so use it to your advantage!
- 84% of companies use social media for brand building
- 54% of brands have used social media for customer retention (Word Stream)
- Make things personal by replying to comments and DMs!!
Fresh Outreach Idea #3:
Create video content! A lot more!
Even videos that don’t seem like advertisements create sales leads and increase awareness!
- 54% of consumers say they want to see more videos from brands and businesses they support (Smart Insights).
- 90% of marketers say that video has directly helped increase sales leads (Smart Insights).
- Consumers watch videos to:
- 22% gather info on brands, products, or services
- 25% see reviews or product demos
- 33% learn new skills (Think With Google)
We hope today’s show has inspired you to make the most of your summer by employing some of these fresh marketing methods:
- Think about the values you and your target audience share, and incorporate them into your marketing content.
- Increase customer engagement with spotlights of reviews and a bigger and more responsive social media presence.
- Use videos to your advantage and consider posting videos that will give consumers information about your company, expose them to your products, or teach them something new.
Check Out Our Podcast for More Growth-Focused Discussions
This content is from a recent episode of Growth Marketing for Martians, a podcast dedicated to discussing tomorrow's business growth tips -today!
Hosted by Rogelio Rodriguez and Jeff Lambert, these marketing Martians share an intergalactic love for learning and sharing with other podcast space travelers.