Email is a widely popular marketing strategy - and for a good reason. More than 34% of people worldwide actively use email for communication. That's 2.5 BILLION people! (Radicati)
However, as common and wide-spread as email is, there are many mistakes home services companies make that keep this strategy fruitless. The last thing you want is to spend your hard earned time and money on failed email campaigns. It hurts to see low delivery rates, open rates, and click rates.
For this reason, we’re sharing some tried and true tips when to create a FREE email newsletter that builds AND converts audiences.
Learn More About Growing Your Home Services Company:
- 11 Mistakes You're Making Trying to Grow Your Home Services Marketing
- 3 Tips for Home Improvement Services Who Want to Stay Relevant in 2021
- How Home Services Companies Can Improve Employee Performance Reviews
Why Email Marketing Works
When done correctly, email marketing is THE personal way to reach target audiences. Unlike most marketing mediums, email can be personalized and tailored to customer behaviors.
In doing so, your communication outreach is more likely to pique customers' interests based on where they are in their buyer’s journey.
Here are a few email marketing statistics to illustrate:
- On average, every $1 spent on email marketing results in a $42 return. (Campaign Monitor)
- Email marketing is 40% better at converting leads when compared to Facebook Advertising. (The Annuitas Group)
- 37% of marketers agree email is the most effective channel for customer retention and loyalty. This beat out websites and social media. (Dot Digital)
- Marketing emails impact the buying decision of 50.7% of customers. (SaleCycle)
The Mistakes 95% of Home Services Emails Make
There is a common misunderstanding that email marketing is dead. However, we know this is far from the truth. In fact, 81% of small business marketers say they rely on email as their primary customer acquisition method (QuickSprout).
The reason so many organizations throw in the towel is that they are not achieving the expected results. If this is the case for your home services company, you are likely making some mistakes.
Do not let this discourage you. Here are a few unique tips to counteract these challenges.
1) Use Newsletters to Educate Subscribers
Email marketing should first focus on nurturing prospects rather than selling to them.
Oftentimes companies get too caught up in using newsletters to promote their products and services. They forget or disregard the importance of providing actual value to readers!
Remember, 80% of new leads never translate into sales. However, businesses that excel at lead nurturing generate 50% more sales-ready buyers (Invesp).
So focus the majority of your emails on educational content. Build up a reason for readers to open your messages. The curiosity about your products and services will follow!
2) Provide Customers With Continuous Value.
Past and current customers are 50% more likely to try your new products and services than new leads. Additionally, they will spend 31% more when compared to fresh customers (Invesp).
Therefore, the effort you put into email marketing should not solely focus on prospective customers. Continue reaching past customers with thought-leadership and promotional messages to stay top-of-mind.
Keeping them in the loop is incredibly important to your overall sales efforts. Don’t let the relationship end after the work project finishes!
3) Remember to Include a Call-to-Action.
Every email you send must include a clear CTA (call-to-action) that encourages subscribers to do something after interacting with your content.
Some examples of CTAs could include new customer coupon codes, surveys, or member-only service discounts. Making those CTA offers irresistibly clickable is an art, though. Our guide can help!
Even if you're sending a newsletter about a standard topic (like recent news) there should still be an opportunity for readers to expand their involvement!
The Email Service We Recommend: HubSpot
One of the most frequently asked questions our agency hears is, "What are the best email newsletter services?"
Time and time again, HubSpot sits at the top of our list.
Here's why HubSpot is our preferred email service:
- It’s user-friendly. Marketers can easily create branded emails without hiring expert graphic designers.
- Deep reader personalization. Businesses can customize emails to include each recipient's name, location, requested service, and other personalized information - automatically!
- Stronger results. The personalization that HubSpot offers results in high open rates and click-through rates.
- Continual newsletter optimization. Email marketing campaigns are optimizable with the option to utilize A/B testing and detailed analytics.
In short, we love HubSpot because it acts as a central hub that connects one’s website, email, blog posts, social media, landing pages, and so much more!
Better yet, this digital platform allows home services companies to review a long list of data points from all your marketing efforts in one place!
Start by Stressing the Small Details
When it comes to successful email marketing strategies, the little things matter. Where should you start? Keep reading!
1) Subject Lines Matter
An email's subject line is the most significant factor in achieving high open rates. But what makes a subject line great? How long should it be?
Here are some helpful statistics that answer these common questions.
- On average, subject lines with 6 to 10 words produce the highest open rates. (Retention Science)
- Subject lines with a subscriber's first name can increase open rates by 20%. (SuperOffice)
- Subject lines with words such as: "secrets," "e-sales," and "awesome" led to more opened emails. (HubSpot)
2) Create a Simple Design Layout
Writing effective email content is critical, but it should go hand in hand with email design. While the messaging conveys important information, the design catches someone's eye and encourages them to keep reading.
For this reason, it is helpful to stick to a simple, readable layout. It helps to not overwhelm subscribers as soon as they open the email.
Create sections to your email, such as “recent news” or “Home Maintenance Tip of the Month.” Then, house your content under these categories to organize it all for your reader.
3) Send Information the Reader CARES ABOUT
Lastly, segment your list of customers and prospects. This helps with sending specific information each persona cares about.
For instance, say someone downloaded an ebook entitled "The Ultimate Guide to Installing Impact Windows." To access the guide on your website, they must provide their email address.
With this contact information, you can email future resources regarding impact windows. When the homeowner is finally ready to hire a vendor, they will remember your brand over other local competitors because you provided actual value!
The Importance of Rewarding Readers
There is a lot of time and effort that goes into collecting subscribers for an email list. But the hard work doesn't stop once someone starts following.
Preventing customers from unsubscribing can prove to be more difficult than getting them to opt-in in the first place.
For this reason, it is important to go beyond their expectations. Make sure you continue to delight your readers so they stay subscribed for the long haul.
Here are some helpful suggestions to reward your readers:
- Offer incentives for subscribers that make it to certain milestones. Send out an automated birthday email or congratulate them when they book multiple projects
- Periodically create exclusive deals for only people who are subscribed to your email list.
- When releasing new products and services, provide readers with sneak peeks or first looks.
- Send monthly or quarterly emails thanking readers for being a subscriber.
Grow by Being Adventurous
The best way to grow and nurture your email list is by relying on data-driven marketing strategies.
While it is important to spend time curating the perfect email campaign, it is equally important to track the results.
Email marketing analytics home services companies should review include:
- Open rates (how many people open your message once it hits their inbox?)
- Click rates (are they clicking the links inside your emails?)
- Open times (what time of day are people most likely reading your content?)
- Conversion rates (how many readers turn into customers?)
- Bounce rates (How many recipients didn’t receive your email?)
The insights gathered from this data should guide future email efforts. For example, after a few weeks you notice emails sent on Tuesday afternoons outperform emails sent any other day. Now you know the best time to send an email to your audience list is Tuesdays!
Lastly, with these insights, don't be afraid to try new ideas and promotions. You won't know what works and what doesn't without giving an out-of-the-box idea a fair shot. Send, evaluate, readjust, repeat.
Have You Launched Your Email! Great! NOW GROW IT!
With a consistent email marketing strategy, your home services company stays top-of-mind throughout the entire customer's journey. While email marketing is extremely beneficial, it is complex. From list building, to including little details, to performance tracking, there is always something new to learn.
For small business owners and marketers short on time, it can be difficult to manage. Does this common issue resonate with you?
Rev Grow, our lean, mean, revenue machine, is a program that provides training and implementation-ready resources to start scaling your business quickly.
We’re the proven partner for businesses offering:
- Impact products
- Garage doors
- mold remediation
- ...and other home services.
We’ve helped owners like you how to grow your company year-over-year predictably and safely.
Learn how we have helped other home service companies with our marketing services.
- Case study for Alco Windows & Doors
- Case Study for Biosweep Southeast
- Case Study for Garage Door Medics
Sign up for our Rev Grow Program beta and enjoy our early adopter pricing. Don’t wait! Start boosting your leads and increasing your revenue today!